Airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
Is it normal for airlocks not to bubble? Mine just seems to push the water up the airlock when it's fermenting. Is that normal? Lots of people seem to talk about them bubbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When co2 pushes the water out will make a bubble sound. Depending on how your beer is fermenting. if its vigorous it will bubble more. Check to see if its filled up all way.

Mine never bubbles. It's one of the airlocks with two chambers that kind of looks like an S on its side with a little red cap.

Mine used to bubble, but doesn't anymore. I suspect a leaky lid, but it hasn't been an issue.

I've made sure the lid is on nice and tight and did the pressing on the lid to check the water rises and falls (which it does). Do you think it might be the airlock hole? It's pretty tight with the grommet and everything.

The airlock is merely a device to let excess CO2 escape while keeping fruit flies out of your beer. If your fermenter lets the CO2 leak out elsewhere but still keeps the fruit flies out, you're good. I have one fermenter that always bubbles, one that never bubbles, one that bubbles when it feels like it and one that has no airlock, just a hole covered with saran wrap. They all make beer.

Back