Airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstought

Reaction score
I'm just wondering: who uses which airlocks and why? Any preferences? Pros and cons? Are some that just plain don't work, or some that can cause more problems than they're worth? Or is an airlock and airlock?

Any thoughts?

I think it depends on what your brewing. I used just basic airlocks or the "tripple ripple" ones for extract and PG brewing and never had any problems even when the fermenting temps were a little warm. I haven't brewed much AG. But it appears when brewing "heavy" beers, some people prefer to use a blow-off tube and bottle/jug. Some will jump in with more info. Luck - Dwain

If I used carboys I would use blow off tubes for the first few days, but I use buckets with enough headroom, so 3 piece airlocks work for me.

I think all of the airlocks work the same really.. just a matter of convenience. The "double bubble" airlocks can be a pain to clean if you get any foaming up into it; but the 3 piece can be taken apart and cleaned much easier... just my 2 cents

Blow off tubes are just another form of airlocks. I only have one fermenter that I don't use an airlock with and that's a 12 gallon plastic garbage pail that doesn't have an airtight lid anyway so no need.

The S-style won't allow the water to be sucked back into the fermenter (as long as you don't overfill it)...they just bubble in reverse.

I use carboys and always use a blowoff tube once fermentation starts...even if I don't expect it to actually blowoff. It just allows me to 'relax and not worry' a little more.

Back