Airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norn_irn

Reaction score
hi guys,
i started my 1st batch yesterday all went smooth done everything by the book, however dont laugh, but when i put the yeast in and put the lid on, i went to put the airlock on, when i done this the rubber stopper that comes with the fermenting bin fell through into the mix, it dropped to the bottom.
will this have any effect on the outcome???
also i just put a cloth over the bin, i check it this morning and its fermenting away, will i be safer cover the small hole and placing the lid on loosely and covering it with a cloth???

cheers

GAWA
green and white army

I lost a plastic lid from a gallon of water that I used for top-off water. Didn't even realize it until I was done racking it to my keg. I had to pull the krausen off to figure out what is was. In the end, it was perfectly fine.

Some homebrewers don't use the airlock, they just put aluminum foil over the top to keep nasties from getting in and let the CO2 out, you could do the same. :mug:

EDIT: Just re-read, you are using a bucket, not a carboy. You are still fine, I'd still wrap it in something other than a cloth which is a bit porous and could harbor bacteria, a small sheet of aluminum foil over the top will prob be just fine.

All is well. I'd bet a great majority of brewers have accidentally dropped a stopper/grommet into their beer. If it was sanitized, your beer will be o.k.
Cover the opening with sanitized tin foil. The foil will allow the fermenting beer to off-gas, but keep out any infection.

I don't substitute tin foil for an airlock on purpose, but it will work just fine. Actually, many here do just that without any problems.

cheers guys
Mike G its a fermenting bin from youngs, so put the lid on tight and place tin foil over the hole, do i tape it down or anything??

GAWA
Green and White Army

cheers guys
Mike G its a fermenting bin from youngs, so put the lid on tight and place tin foil over the hole, do i tape it down or anything??

GAWA
Green and White Army

I would keep the lid on and sanitize a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to cover the entire lid if you can. I imagine 1 sheet might not be large enough to cover the entire diameter of the bin so pull enough to go over two sides and cover the hole as best as you can. Use two sheets if you feel the need to cover all of it if you like but you don't want to make it airtight, CO2 needs to get out.

For about a year now, 11 batches of beer (extract) and 3 of cider. Lots of my brewing process has been defined from info on this board. I noticed you just joined, welcome to HBT! :mug:

Back