Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpi_Oties2

Reaction score
New brewer and have cracked a couple of the 3 pc airlocks in a rubber stopper for a blow off set up. If my brew store was open today I'd just replace it but they are closed. My question is can I plug the blow off tubing into the stopper and by pass the airlock? Or will this allow air to penetrate and compromise my efforts?
Cheers, Owen

Don't sweat it. Unless you think your going to have a blow off issue you can just stick tin foil over the rubber stopper.

I have a 1g pitcher I put sanitizer for the end of the blow off tube. I had the same issue breaking them so I have a couple lids with a 1/2" PVC nipple on the outside with an o-ring and threaded PVC coupler on the inside. The other thing you can do is install a 2nd bubbler.

I have a 1g pitcher I put sanitizer for the end of the blow off tube. I had the same issue breaking them so I have a couple lids with a 1/2" PVC nipple on the outside with an o-ring and threaded PVC coupler on the inside. The other thing you can do is install a 2nd bubbler.
Post a picture of your lids if you could?

Post a picture of your lids if you could?
20180114_145736.jpg
20180114_145515.jpg

My fermentors are on a shelving unit. I run the blow off tube over the top rail of the shelf unit to take the weight off the three piece air lock. Make sure your container of sanitizer the end of the blow off tube is in is lower than the fermentor. This will prevent suck back when the pressure drops inside the fermentor.

Latest posts

Back