airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstewartff

Reaction score
my fermenting beer as rose up into my airlock and it looks horrible. I am wanting to clean it and put it back on. I don't have another airlock or I would just swap them out real fast. is it ok to take the airlock off and leave the hole open to clean it real fast or should I just leave it.

You will want to get the airlock out and clean it. Make sure to sanitize before you put it back in. A better solution would be to rig up a blow off tube until the fermentation has died down.

You're probably fine either way. Some beer usually gets into the airlock and doesn't hurt anything unless it gets so clogged that none of the CO2 can blow off any longer. On the other hand, if fermentation is still actively going on, taking the airlock off to clean it won't hurt either--you have positive pressure keeping the nasties out, and the rapid fermentation will prevent anything from getting a foothold anyway.

It's perfectly fine to pull it out and clean it. You can leave the hole open for that short time, won't be a problem unless you ferment in some exceptionally dusty environment. If you're still uber paranoid just lightly cover the top with Saran Wrap, no need to air tight it, remember there's still positive CO2 pressure pushing out of the airlock hole.

Rev.

Spray a glass with starsan, pull the airlock and put the glass over the hole while you clean the airlock. I wouldn't bother with the glass though, it should be fine as long as your not walking around slobbering like daffy duck.

Look into a blow off tube

I cut an old white t shirt into squares and whenever i take the airlock/bung off the carboy i soak the swab on starsan and place it over the opening. I also have used pieces of foil sprayed with starsan to cover the hole

I've even sprayed the grommet with Starsan & covered it with paper till I cleaned it. Then I just said f***it & bought another handful of airlocks, since they're so cheap. Then just spray Starsan on the grommet & the stem of the clean airlock, install & fill to the line. I started using vodka or stronger plain clear liquor mixed 50/50 with Starsan in them to keep the Starsan from foaming out the airlock cap's tiny holes.

Back