AirLock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorebrews123

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use this type of airlock, it only comes in 2 bits and if closed has no air holes??! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408886476.524224.jpg

Does anyone know how to use this airlock, it's only 2 pieces but has no air holes when closedImageUploadedByHome Brew1408886551.046720.jpg

Looks like a hybrid 3 PC. Too me. Have never tried one but i might. It should act like one by the way it looks.

Escaping co2 pressure should lift the top and allow it to flow out from underneath the solid cap sides. The benefit to this I'm assuming will be when pressure is at its lowest the top will create a air tight seal. In theory.

Looks good to me. Nice and tight no back flow there. Which is what you want from an airlock.

My bin doesn't fill tight enough for it to be completely airtight, maybe it's just me but I've seen a lot of other peoples online and they seem much tighter

You lid needs a rubber grommet under the airlock other than that I'd say your fine.

Your bucket lid does not have to seal tightly to keep contaminates out. They can not fly, thus can not navigate up under the lid and over the lip of the bucket.

The only concern would be a large sudden temperature change causing the pressure inside the bucket to go much lower than the outside and sucking air into the bucket. This would only happen after fermentation had slowed.

Back