Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zsbrewing

Reaction score
I filled the airlock with water but a day later the water level dropped do I fill the airlock up again to the top or leave it half full

Most airlocks have a fill line. Keep it at or generally around that line and you'll be fine. This level shouldn't be changing day to day, unless fermentation is at its most active point. If the level changes much in a day's time at any other time, I'd get a new airlock.

If you filled the airlock all the way to the top, it probably bubbled out. Fill to the "fill line" next time. No problem.

Or,when initial fermentation slows down,you get a reverse pressure situation. It's called suck back & will suck water from the airlock into the fermenter. That's why I use cheap vodka in mine. Anything that gets in it dies of alcohol poisoning. Water can breed nasties,so you could get an infection. But most likely not,since being past initial fermentation,there's a significant amount of yeasts & alcohol in there to kill or starve them out.

Back