airlock water sucked into beer!!!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
i was taking my hydrometer reading after the beer had fermented all the way and the act of sucking beer out of the siphon into the test jar sucked air through the airlock and also some of the water too!! is this ok ?? is my beer going to be ok?

this is why a lot of folks suggest vodka or sanitizer in the airlock. Your situation will likely be fine if you got the water right out of the tap into the airlock when you filled it. I.e, it wasn't exposed to anything on the way. I once got a teensy bit of water that had been in the sink in my yeast starter when the starter tipped over. Ruined a whole batch of beer and my best guess is there was something on my nasty sink that got into the water and then into the starter. Again, though , most likely your beer will not be affected by a little bit of airlock water.

Your beer should be fine. In the future, take the airlock off if you're going to take a sample. You also might want to use something other than plain water in your airlock, just in case. I use starsan solution. Some folks use vodka.

I had about 7 or more instances of suck back in my first try so at the least you're not alone. I bottle it tomorrow.

lol it went like this

Water
Water/sanitizer
Water/Sanitizer/Vodka
less and less water until it ended up all Vodka

Annoying thing was I DID take the airlock off to move it the last few times. I got suck back taking it off AND putting it back on.

Back