Airlock water in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
Hi!

I brewed a blue moon clone, and it has been fermenting for 2 weeks. Last night I gave it a taste and took of the airlock and put it on the table (oops!) and didnt clean it before putting it in again and 1 drop of airlock water got into the fermenter.

How screwed is my batch? With the dirty airlock from the table and the airlock water drop in it?

You are most likely okay. It is harder to cause an infection in a fermented beer over that of an unfermented wort. Time will be the final judge though.

Accidentally getting water from the air lock into the beer is why most brewers use a Starsan solution or vodka.

yeah youll be fine, 1 drop is nothing. Unless that was like a drop of moldy water

But in the future use starsan or any high proof liquor to fill the airlock

Okay thank you for your answers. The water was clean when i put it in the airlock. But yeah it was only a drop! Haha

And putting the airlock on the table and then back in again is nothing to worry about?

I've never screwed up a batch (knock on wood) and hopefully never will! :)

Next time just put starsan in your airlock. No need to worry about it then

I got a bottle of cheap 100 proof Popov vodka for my airlock for $8, I would recommend this route.

Thanks everyone!

Just a newbie question - is it really easy like everyone says to get an infected beer even if you keep everything clear? Whats the main cause for infections and what should i look out for?

Thanks everyone!

Just a newbie question - is it really easy like everyone says to get an infected beer even if you keep everything clear? Whats the main cause for infections and what should i look out for?

I think it is other the way around.. it is fairly hard, at least reading some of the mishaps that happen while brewing. What usually gets people is dirty equipment that has gunk growing in it and the wort stays exposed. That is why if you get a deep scratch in a fermenting bucket you should toss it. But a drip of airlock water will be fine as the yeast will outnumber the anything else and the alcohol in the beer will provide some protection.

I think it is other the way around.. it is fairly hard, at least reading some of the mishaps that happen while brewing. What usually gets people is dirty equipment that has gunk growing in it and the wort stays exposed. That is why if you get a deep scratch in a fermenting bucket you should toss it. But a drip of airlock water will be fine as the yeast will outnumber the anything else and the alcohol in the beer will provide some protection.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back