Airlock Water getting into Primary/Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainPurge

Reaction score
Anyone have anything to say about airlock water accidentally getting into your primary or secondary?

I filled my airlock about two-thirds full when sealing up my primary, and a couple days later took a look at it....i happened to press on the lid which caused a pressure spike inside the system and I'm pretty sure some of the water got sucked into the wort. This was filtered tap water and the airlock was sanitized.

Also, I just had the same thing happen when tonight I tranferred it to secondary. I saw some water enter the carboy, but, this time I happened to use boiling water as the water lock...so there should be no issue here.

Keep On Brewin'
CPT_Purge

You shouldn't have a problem since you used "sterile" forms of water.

In the future, you may want to use a cheap whiskey or vodka. They're sterile and no harm done if they enter that brew. I use spiced rum becuase the colored liquid is easier to see from a distance (As I sneak a glimpse at fermentation activity) and it actually lends a nice smell when fermenting.

I've used vodka with good effect however it tends to evaporate pretty quickly and you have to watch the level. Easier to just used boiled, cooled water in the bubbler. Filtered through a carbon filter system is probably OK but don't count on it being santitized. With boiled water there is no doubt. No bugs in there...

Tap water here though I usually add some sulphite to it, just not enough to kill the yeast if it gets sucked in. I'm using 12g plastic carboys now since I can't afford SS ones. (just use a primary and filter from there after several weeks).

You have to watch it with plastic, when you move them the bottom/sides flex and can suck in thourgh the airlock. I usually (when I remember) take the airlock off and place my sanitized thumb over (or a plug into) the hole first, the add airlock again once moved.

I've made the switch to vodka too.

Adding a little idophor works too. I have used some leftover idophor water from sanitizing my equipment before. Just keep the concentration to a similar level.

Back