Airlock stops bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Well, guys it seems that my airlock stop bubbling after about 1-2 days of activity. Using Notthingham ale yeast at a temp of 21-22 degrees celsius. Should I be worried? I did aerate the wort for 10 minutes.

What should I do? Do I let it be and wait for a few more days before bottling?

Leave it alone for 3 weeks or transfer to secondary after a few more days. Nottingham does the majority of fermentation pretty fast. I've had beers go from pitching to krausen drop in 30 hours. Just because it's not bubbling doesn't mean it is "done".

Thanks shafferpilot,

been reading up more on Nottingham yeast and they claim that the fermentation will be complete in 4 days at 20 degrees??? Thats really fast.

It does ferment pretty fast- but even after the majority of fermentation is finished, the yeast are still "cleaning up" after themselves, eating their own waste products like diacetyl, and eventually they'll fall to the bottom of the fermenter (flocculate). So, leave it for about two weeks before bottling, unless you are planning to transfer it to a carboy or clearing tank. We talk about the 1-2-3 method- one week primary fermenter, two weeks in the clearing vessel, and then 3 weeks in the bottle. If you're not using a two-stage procedure, then 2-3 or 3-3 would be recommended.

Back