Airlock stopped bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drake413

Reaction score
My airlock bubbling very hard for a day or two after I started fermenting and now is not hardly bubbling at all, and may have completely stopped. Is this normal or is something terribly wrong?

It's normal. When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to Fg. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging.

Normal. If your concerned, open the lid and look. I'd wait for a week or so before bothering though. Might look like this, note the krausen ring at top around the bucket:

2010-04-03-09.30.24.jpg

My airlock bubbling very hard for a day or two after I started fermenting and now is not hardly bubbling at all, and may have completely stopped

Did you check the batteries? You're going to need more plutonium.

Doc_Brown.JPG

Normal. If your concerned, open the lid and look. I'd wait for a week or so before bothering though. Might look like this, note the krausen ring at top around the bucket:

2010-04-03-09.30.24.jpg

Yep. :mug:

Drake, that ring Theck posted was the vigorous fermentation. That's when you see the rapid bubbling. Your beer can be actively fermenting for days to weeks after the airlock stops constantly bubbling. It's done enough to move to your next step when the gravity reading is stable for a few days.

If you don't take gravity readings, start. Or, let it go three to four weeks in the primary.

Back