Airlock stopped bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

FroggerWV

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of berry wine with a 1 gallon wine kit and recipe. I added 2 1/4 cups of sugar with all the starters. After 24 hours I added the yeast. It started and percolated hard ( a bubble a second) for about 36 hours. By 48 hours, it had stopped bubbling completely.

Since this is my first batch, this does not seem normal to me, but was not sure if I needed to take action. I added a 1/4 cup of sugar to the primary to see what would happen and it began percolating again at about a bubble/ 5 seconds.

Could it run out of sugar that quickly? What are the long term repercussions of this?

andhou27

Reaction score
That sounds right for an active fermentation. However, just because you don't see any activity doesn't mean the yeast aren't still working. Next time, do not add anything else to the primary as this can change the outcome of your wine or introduce infection. Just let it run its time and see how it tastes!

OP
F

FroggerWV

Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for the rassurance. It was one of those things where I didn't know what to expect.

pumpkinman2012

Reaction score
agreed, airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation. If your wine stopped fermenting after 24 hrs, a few things could have happened, but the only way that you will know if it stopped is with your hydrometer, did you take a starting gravity reading?
If the temps are too high, fermentation will be quicker, but at the cost of potentially stressed yeast, if the temp is too low, yeast can go dormant.