Airlock Stopped after moving Primary- Typical Newb Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
Hey y'all - I've done a few batched with varying results (mostly acealdehyde laced ales) but I've stumbled a bit here and would like some advice.

Ok, so I made a pale ale yesterday with a yeast from Bosa (White Labs WLP001/liquid, was in a glass vial). I pitched it around 11 am (it was very well aerated this time, 70*F), went out for the day and when I came back home (midnight) the airlock was bubbling just fine. But then as as soon as I moved the primary off the floor the airlock stopped. I assumed that moving it had just caused some of the C02 to rush out at once and it would resume by this morning. It hasn't. I double checked to lid and it's on there tight.

In How To Brew though I just read the liquid yeast should have had a starter, so now I'm thinking I effed that part up and may need to re-pitch.

Any thoughts?

ps. I did take the yeast out of the fridge about 6 hours before hand and shook it up before pitching. The yeast best before date is Oct/2012, the room temp is 19*C and there's no other relevant things I can think of.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

The change in airlock activity probably means nothing. It is just a vent as so many people will tell you around here. Your beer probably is still fermenting away. Check it with a hydrometer though in a few days. It's the only real way to tell what's going on.

It's fine. If it was fermenting before then it is either still fermenting, or its done. Unless you moved the fermenter from the floor to the freezer or oven. :mug: Give it a few days or longer and I'm sure you will have great beer!

In How To Brew though I just read the liquid yeast should have had a starter, so now I'm thinking I effed that part up and may need to re-pitch.

white labs vials only need a yeast starter if the yeast is past its expiration date. Of course, it doesnt hurt to make a yeast starter even if it's not expired.

I just made an IPA with the Pacific Ale yeast from white labs with no starter. OG was 56 and the FG was 14 after 3 weeks. It was an awesome beer, gone in 3 hours at my friends grad party.

Thank you all for the replies!

I came back from work today and the airlock is moving again, I assume from re-sealing the lid on the primary.

And yeah, I re-read the instructions on the White Labs vial and saw what you stated, mrrshotshot.

Back