Airlock stopped after 5.5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSparty08

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been a little concerned over my first brew lately. At first the airlock was going pretty well at about 1 bubble every 3-5 seconds or so, slowed down to one every 30 seconds after about 2 days or so and now I haven't seen it bubble once after 5 days. I just opened it up and took a hydrometer reading and it's at 1.020 so it has come down a bit. The finishing gravity for this wheat beer is supposed to be 1.009-1.014 so obviously it's not done yet, but I haven't seen a bubble in quite a while. Am I going to have to pitch more yeast or just let it go the next 10 days and hope it comes down?

Again, this is a wheat beer fermenting at 70 degrees in one of those plastic "ale pails."

orfy said:
If I was you I'd wait 3 days and take a reading again.

If I was me I'd wait 16 days and take a reading to qualify my judgement.

So if it still hasn't changed, I should re-pitch then?

Your yeast is working fine, or it wouldn't have bubbled for 5 days. Be patient and leave it alone. Home brewing is all about patience, and the longer you wait, the better it will be. Do what Orph said.

mrk305 said:
Your yeast is working fine, or it wouldn't have bubbled for 5 days. Be patient and leave it alone. Home brewing is all about patience, and the longer you wait, the better it will be. Do what Orph said.

Ok well I'm grateful for this board for that reason. I was a little worried that maybe my yeast died or something. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not aerating my wort very well before I pitched (a mistake I won't make again), but if you all think that I'm still in the clear, I'm more confident that I'll be ok.

Ok just checked it again today. Gravity is still at 1.020 (target for this extract wheat beer kit is 1.009-1.014). This is 9 days after brewing. I did notice that when I opened it today there were a lot more bubbles on the surface and some residue on the sides of the pail. Is it still fermenting then even though the gravity hasn't come down at all in 3 days or has it stalled on me? It's been at 66-72 degrees for the whole primary stage. Anything I can do to speed it along?

I agree... with all other posts.... If your airlock went for five days, during those five days it gradually slowed down to nothing, I would say that was ideal. Take the good advice here, you cannot trust an airlock. My first batch showed only two days of activity and then dropped off.... My guy at the brew store told me to be patient and wait.... he was right, and the batch turned out really well.... good job for a first batch.

Dont forget to make the adjustments for your hydrometer.... most are calibrated at 60 degrees.... if your temp is high 60s you have to make adjustments for the reading

Back