Airlock still uneven after two weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klenow

Reaction score
hi, i am fermenting a pilsener, it has been in the keg for two weeks. I have obviously assumed fermentation to have finished. However the water in the airlock is still at times uneven, suggesting an excess of CO2 inside the keg. Is this normal or does it mean i should wait longer? I just checked it and the level has increased after warming it up slightly, does this mean it needs to be warmed up and it hasnt finished yet? specific gravity is below 1010

I'm going to assume you mean 'fermenter' rather than keg.
Are you fermenting this at ale temperatures (near room temp) or lager temperatures (fridge temp)?
If it's at ale temperatures, it's been two weeks, and your hydrometer's reading that, it's finished fermenting. At lager temperatures, fermentation will take longer, but at that gravity it's still done.
The unevenness in the airlock can have a few sources: temperature or pressure changes in the air around the fermenter will do it, in addition to the fact that the finished beer still contains a lot of dissolved CO2 that'll come out of solution.

I am trying to keep the temp at an average of 25 degrees celsius. However it has been rather cold lately and it may have dropped to 20-22 at times. So i suppose its been around room temp. The main reason for this question is that i am planning to bottle tomorrow and i was wondering whether it would be likely for the bottles to explode with this extra gas.

25 is very hot for nearly any yeast. The only thing I can think of fermenting that hot would be an estery Belgian ale. For a cleaner flavour, you want to keep it twenty or below. 18 is my catch-all temperature, except for Belgians.

Latest posts

Back