Airlock still bubbling like every 5 mins after 13 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
so yeah, i got a beer thats been in the fermenter for 13 days and the airlock still bubbles every 5 mins. i know im not supposed to leave it in the fermenter for more than 14 days. its at 5.7% at the moment. I dont have a secondary carboy.

why not leave it more then 14 days. I have done beers that were in primary for 21 days and they were fine. They were also some of the clearest beers I have even had

First and Foremost...you should really get yourself a secondary

Even if it's the placstic "Better Bottles"

It sounds like your ale is calming down...and because you live in Florida (I do too), the fermentation process exceeds whats considered "normal time"

If your airlock is still popping tomorrow...I would still go as planned with whatever method you do next

If you have a cornelious keg...you could use that as a secondary...

Because we live in warmer tempetures, its very important you remove the wort from the yeast as quick as possible....

what type of beer? what is the recipe including yeast? Starting Gravity and current gravity?

5.5 gallons
3lbs Pale Malt DME
3lbs Amber Malt DME
1/2lb Munich Malt
1/2lb Vienna Malt
1/2lb Crystal 60 Malt
1lb Pale Malt
1oz Tettnang Hops
1oz Hallertau Hops
2oz Cascade hops
Yeast Saflager s-23 11.5g

Procedure

Mash all grains for 60 minutes at 154F in 2 gallons of water. Boil for 30 minutes adding all hops for the full 30 minutes. Add all DME after 15 minutes.

my SG was 1.060 FG is at the moment 1.018

Take another reading in about 5 days. If it's the same, your beer is done. I wouldn't bottle until about day 21-ish, regardless of whether the readings tell you it's done or your capability to secondary.

im using a 7 gallon plastic fermenter. and the bottles it's going in are ez cap swivel top amber glass bottles

I would bet on off gassing. However, beertools puts your FG at 1.005 So let it go for a bit. Take a hydrometer reading everyday and see if you have any change. if you dont, bottle away

Iv used the same yeast (Yeast Saflager s-23 11.5g), kept the beer about 10-12*C and its still been bubbling after 3-4 weeks. Mind you only slowly like yours is doing.

What are your fermentation temperatures? Lagers at 50 degrees usually take three weeks or so to finish primary, so you're right in there. Anybody who tells you that it shouldn't be in primary more than 14 days doesn't know what they're talking about.

ok, i actually went and got a 5g glass carboy, so its in the secondary now. im going to leave it in there for 14 days then bottle em up! it read 5.7% 4 days in a row so it's all im getting out of it.

Back