Airlock seal fell into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
I have read the numerous threads about the rubber seal falling into the primary and Im not concerned about an infection or anything like that. My worry is that I plan to age this beer on oak cubes in the secondary for up to 6 months and I don't want the rubber seal to impart any rubber type flavors. Thoughts?

What type of rubber seal? Are you talking about a carboy stopper? Or a rubber seal from a bucket lid.

Either one should be fine sitting in the beer and shouldn't impart any off flavors. I only ask because you shouldn't be keeping beer in the secondary stage for that long in a plastic bucket.

If you are going to secondary, aren't you going to transfer the beer anyway? Leave the grommet behind when you siphon.

SoonerDoc: After transferring so the secondary the seal fell in.

Ace Club: why not age in a bucket? I chose to go with it instead of my carboy because I didn't want to worry about covering it to keep any uv rays off of it for 6 months

Some feel that lengthy time in buckets can lead to oxidation because of the significant amount of headspace and the related lack of a CO2 blanket covering the beer - which is less of an issue in a carboy. Some also feel that buckets do not provide the same kind of seal that carboys do. I never secondary - I usually dry hop after fermentation is over in the primary - so I can't speak to this from personal experience, but it's an opinion I've heard many times before.

Back