Airlock seal fell into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Challenger440

Reaction score
I have read the numerous threads about the rubber seal falling into the primary and Im not concerned about an infection or anything like that. My worry is that I plan to age this beer on oak cubes in the secondary for up to 6 months and I don't want the rubber seal to impart any rubber type flavors. Thoughts?

Ace_Club

Reaction score
What type of rubber seal? Are you talking about a carboy stopper? Or a rubber seal from a bucket lid.

Either one should be fine sitting in the beer and shouldn't impart any off flavors. I only ask because you shouldn't be keeping beer in the secondary stage for that long in a plastic bucket.

SoonerDoc

Reaction score
If you are going to secondary, aren't you going to transfer the beer anyway? Leave the grommet behind when you siphon.

OP
Challenger440

Challenger440

Reaction score
SoonerDoc: After transferring so the secondary the seal fell in.

Ace Club: why not age in a bucket? I chose to go with it instead of my carboy because I didn't want to worry about covering it to keep any uv rays off of it for 6 months

Smokeater233

Reaction score
Some feel that lengthy time in buckets can lead to oxidation because of the significant amount of headspace and the related lack of a CO2 blanket covering the beer - which is less of an issue in a carboy. Some also feel that buckets do not provide the same kind of seal that carboys do. I never secondary - I usually dry hop after fermentation is over in the primary - so I can't speak to this from personal experience, but it's an opinion I've heard many times before.