Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
I have an "S" airlock. It has an orange cap on top of it. Does the cap stay on during fermentation? I thought the purpose was to let gas out. If the cap is on, won't that hold the gas in? Thanks

That cap should have small holes on the very top, it's so gas comes out but bigger things don't fall in. Does yours has some? If not I would take a safety pin and make a half dozen holes.

- ISM NRP

^^^THIS^^^

Otherwise if I lose a cap I will just gently set a sanitized beer cap on the airlock

The cap does have holes in it. Its purpose is to slow loss of the airlock fluid (starsan, vodka) by evaporation and bubbling out during vigorous fermentation. You may still need to refill it every once in a while, though.

That cap should have small holes on the very top, it's so gas comes out but bigger things don't fall in. Does yours has some? If not I would take a safety pin and make a half dozen holes.

- ISM NRP

It doesn't. I do have a round one, it has holes in it. I'll use it. Thanks.

The cap isn't necessary, you'll just need to keep a slightly closer eye on the liquid level. Also, you can just poke a hole or two in it.

I'll poke a few holes in it for future use. Right now I'll just stick with the other airlock. Thanks for all the help though.

Back