Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

phil74501

Reaction score
I have an "S" airlock. It has an orange cap on top of it. Does the cap stay on during fermentation? I thought the purpose was to let gas out. If the cap is on, won't that hold the gas in? Thanks

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
That cap should have small holes on the very top, it's so gas comes out but bigger things don't fall in. Does yours has some? If not I would take a safety pin and make a half dozen holes.

- ISM NRP

CorporateHippie

Reaction score
^^^THIS^^^

Otherwise if I lose a cap I will just gently set a sanitized beer cap on the airlock

daksin

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The cap does have holes in it. Its purpose is to slow loss of the airlock fluid (starsan, vodka) by evaporation and bubbling out during vigorous fermentation. You may still need to refill it every once in a while, though.

OP
P

phil74501

Reaction score
That cap should have small holes on the very top, it's so gas comes out but bigger things don't fall in. Does yours has some? If not I would take a safety pin and make a half dozen holes.

- ISM NRP
It doesn't. I do have a round one, it has holes in it. I'll use it. Thanks.

OP
P

phil74501

Reaction score
The cap isn't necessary, you'll just need to keep a slightly closer eye on the liquid level. Also, you can just poke a hole or two in it.
I'll poke a few holes in it for future use. Right now I'll just stick with the other airlock. Thanks for all the help though.