Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a line about halfway up that you should use as the fill line for this style.
That;s the easy question.
The second part is more difficult. Depending on your yeast health and amount being pitched, plus temperature, you can see up to 3 days delay in fermentation taking off. Some people, especially newbies, sometimes never see bubbling - this is most likely due to the seal of your bucket being off. Even this is nothing to worry about - the pressure inside is keeping things out for the duration of primary.
With good yeast pitching rates, good temperature and so forth, you can see bubbling in 8 - 12 hours sometimes.
There is a good sticky at the top about fermentation taking off 48+ hours (don't remember the exact title offhand.
Personally, I will just shine a flashlight through the top of my fermenting bucket a day or 2 in, and if I can see a ring above the "waterline" inside, I know things are going well and not to disturb it for a couple weeks plus.

Prepare for the necessity of needing a blow off tube. The tube can be fitted over the stem of the main body of the air lock. Remove the cap and inside floating piece to fit the tubing on.

When you're new at brewing (as we all once were), there's a tendency to want to watch the beer like a hawk and expect something to happen. With my buckets, there's about a 50-50 chance that I'll see bubbling airlocks. The rest of the time I see nothing.

Just be patient and if you're going to watch anything, let it be your temps. Have faith that you didn't manage to somehow murder your yeast, and that they're doing their job inside the bucket without any required assistance from you.

In the meantime, get another batch going, or if unable to... start planning your next recipe. I recommend something with alcohol in it - that's always a treat!:tank:

Back