Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Olaf

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed my second batch of allgrain yesterday- 8gal. of an Irish Red, and everything went like it was supposed to. I cooled it to 70 deg. before pitching the yeast, and the carbuoys are in a dark corner of my garage which stays between 62 and 68 deg. at this time of year. I split the batch evenly and put 4gal in each of two 5gal glass carbuoys. I figure with that amount of extra space in the carbuoys it would be allright to just put airlocks in each. I go to check on them this morning and I see what appears to be a (for lack of a better description) a vacuum being set up in the airlocks/carbuoys (the water "barrier" being sucked back up into the airlock). Any thoughts on what's going on?

held79

Reaction score
Sounds like your wort was warmer than your basement. When the air in the carboy cooled it shrunk creating a small vacuum in your airlock. Once fermentation gets going it will push back out. No need to worry.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I like the "S" style airlocks. They bubble backwards rather than suck my airlock fluid (vodka) into the wort like the three piece airlock can.

pcollins

Reaction score
+1

I bought a 6.5 gallon carboy for the same reason as you're filling to 4 gallons. I would still keep an eye on your carboys for extra blow off. I thought i would have enough head space for sure but I still get a fair bit of blow off depending on the recipe.

Either way, RDWHAHB!

Malintent

Reaction score
yup.. I cool to 70 cause I get +2 degrees from active yeast.. so the area is 68. If the yeast doesn't pick up within the first 8 hours or so, cooling will pull the air in. That is definately an advantage of the 'two piece'

OP
Olaf

Olaf

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Next time I will look to see what the temp is in the basement and cool the wort to that instead of a straight 70 and pitch the yeast.