Airlock query.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulian

Amateur Brewman
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a random question and im sure there are no negative consequences to what is happening but just out of curiosity can anyone explain to me why the liquid in my airlock is shifting to one side? Im assuming it has to do with the pressure in the fermentor.

It is still bubbling.

The liquid is difficult to see in the pictures as it is a clear spirit, the 2nd picture is the outline of the spirit.

Attachments

• IMG-20200805-WA0041.jpg
    IMG-20200805-WA0041.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20200805-WA0040.jpg
    IMG-20200805-WA0040.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 22
I'm not very familiar with that type of airlock, but given the design, that's what I'd expect when under pressure.

Yep, that's exactly what is happening: there's higher pressure on the "clean" side because of your yeasties releasing CO2. You can see the same thing in a 3-piece airlock; you'll see a fluid-level difference inside vs. outside the little floating cup.

That is the type of airlock I use. I frequently have to add Starsan into the airlock to prevent it from going dry. On especially robust fermentations, that thing will blow clear and there'll be no liquid left in it. Obviously, the entire point of the airlock is to allow pressure to be released while preventing an suck-back. If it's dry, there's suckback.

Like the others said, that is completely normal and unavoidable. If you add Starsan or whatever you added to the airlock (vodka, etc.) now, it'll equalize and ensure nothing bad gets in.

Back