Airlock out of liquid

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

GT_Jon

Reaction score
I've had my brew in the primary for around 24 hours and the liquid in my airlock dried up to a point that there wasn't any more bubble, but just air escaping above the liquid. I figured it out after staring at the bucket for a few hours and willing my fermentation to restart (that works right?). I topped it off and I can now see the bubbles again. Is this a common occurrence? If so, how often do you top it off to keep it from happening? Below is a picture of the airlock I'm using. Also, I had it filled with Vodka upon the recommendation of some older threads.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
My understanding of this is it's fairly common, especially in dry climates and when it's cold (the colder it is, the drier the air tends to be). The lack of moisture in the air causes any liquid to evaporate at an accelerated rate. If you've got the heat running in your house, that just adds more and more dry air to the area. I've also heard that vodka evaporates quicker than water.

My advice: keep an eye on the airlock and add more liquid whenever it looks low. Adding liquid to your airlock will not have any negative impact on your brew, but having an empty airlock could.

breez7

Reaction score
Its normal, the more vigirous the fermentation the more often it happens.