Airlock now bubling after dryhopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milhouse

Reaction score
I brewed up an IPA 3 weeks ago. Started at OG 1.071 sat in primary for 10 days. Transfered to secondary at 1.020. I dryhopped with pellets in a bag thats floating, last week (note to self 5 marbles is not enough to sink bag) . Now I have small bubbles around the neck of my carboy thats making my airlock bloop every 30 seconds or so. Is my beer still fermenting? Should I wait to bottle unti all air activity ceases?

Only way to be sure if it is fermenting is to take a hydro sample. It could just be CO2 escaping. The hops should have no effect on the fermentation, although they may create nucleation spots for the CO2 to escape.

Wait to bottle until the gravity doesn't change over 2-3 days. I've kicked fermentations back up a little bit while dry-hopping, not quite sure why. If it were immediately after you added the hops I'd say you were just providing nucleation sites but since it's a week out I'm out of ideas.

That always happens... it is maybe some outgassing of CO2... mine always does it, and the gravity never changes. FWIW

Wait to bottle until the gravity doesn't change over 2-3 days. I've kicked fermentations back up a little bit while dry-hopping, not quite sure why. If it were immediately after you added the hops I'd say you were just providing nucleation sites but since it's a week out I'm out of ideas.

Good point.

Now I am curious to why fermentation would kick back up. Minute levels of sugar in hops or maybe they roused the yeast cake?

Thanks for the info guys. I have checked my gravity and fermentation is completed. I really want to bottled this brew,but due to the bubles, there is hop residue floating up and down in the carboy. I am thinking I can do three things:
1-Transfer my beer to another carboy and hope it settles down.
2-Use a paint strainer on both ends of my siphon and hope that filters out most hop residue.
3-Wait until the bubles stop and hope the hops just settle down.
What do think?
Any info will be helpful, Thanks

At that point, whatever sugar you have in there is likely to be very small, and not cause a problem with gushing or bottle bombs. I'd say go for it.

Back