Airlock not bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejbj13

Reaction score
Finished my first brew on Friday and the airlocked stopped bubbling today. I don't think there's a leak but if I put a little pressure on the lid it will bubble, just looking for some help. I don't have a hydrometer

That sounds about right. Active fermentation generally lasts about 3-5 days. After that, the yeast will finish up the fermentables more quietly and then begin to digest some of their own waste products. You have time to get a hydrometer while the beer finishes up and starts to clear over the next week or two. (Yes, you need one).

It's fine. The primary part of the fermentation has completed. Right now the yeasts are cleaning up after themselves. I would allow it at least another seven days before you touch it. You may not see airlock activity but there are still things happening inside.

btw, you really need a hydrometer. They are not expensive and you will find they are an indispensable tool for brewing.

Your beer may be close to the end of the fermentation. The yeast will use a few days after fermentation to do some clean up of off flavors.

A hydrometer is a necessary tool to determine if a fermentation is finished or if it has stalled. Sometimes a stalled fermentation can be remedied.

I will take my first reading two weeks from the start of fermentation and then another a few days later. If the readings are the same FG has been reached. I'll bottle when the beer clears.

You could give the beer three weeks and then it may be safe to bottle. Buying a hydrometer would be best though.

When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by-products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package.

Back