Airlock mistake looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blomkvist

Reaction score
Hello, I am biochemistry grad who decided to try my first batch of wine (Pinot noir). I made an extremely careless mistake with one of my carboys, I forgot to put water into the airlock. Since December, 100 lbs of Pinot grapes have been fermenting without water in the airlock stopper. I never even noticed I had made the careless mistake until today when I went to rack the wine.

I have made a couple calls to my favorite homebrew stores. My most trusted store told me as long as I don't have the vinegar smell or oxidation color the wine should be fine. The second store told me there is a strong chance I have oxidation damage. Both stores told me there was still a possibility I could of had so much CO2 I could be fine (but after five months??!!).

I don't know what to do because there is no suggestion of oxidation color and the wine smells and tastes fine with no clear evidence of oxidation damage. I am most worried about bacteria from the oxidation and/or oxidation damage. I am thinking about finding Tollens reagent online and testing for acetaldehyde.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is my wine ruined?

With it tasting ok, I am assuming you had a good fermentation and with the Co2 blanket, and the higher ABV you should be ok.

the CO2 blanket isn't going to stick around forever after fermentation stops. any CO2 thats in there will most likely have diffused into the air by now. with that said if it tastes good, smells good, and looks good i wouldn't be worried.

I'd crush one campden tablet per gallon (dissolved completely in a little water), and get it in there NOW and stick the airlock on it.

If it tastes ok now, it will probably be ok but with a little oxidation. Adding the campden will kill any microbes that might have decided to work on your wine, and it is an antioxidant so it should help stop any further oxidation.

Back