Airlock keeps getting foam in it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksutton2

Reaction score
My air lock keeps filling with foam. I keep changing it out for a clean one. This is only my third time I have brewed and the first time I have seen this. My question is should I keep changing it for a clean airlock? I am making sure it is sanitized and I fill the new one with sanitized water.

This means that your krausen is expanding beyond the confines of your carboy, and you need to use a blowoff tube. That's nothing more than a tube that runs into a bucket of water, instead of using an airlock. I generally do this for every primary, until the krausen starts to fall, and then I put an airlock in.

You may be able to attach your hose that you use to siphon with to the airlock (assuming you're using a three piece airlock) and then just put the other end in a jar or bowl of water. I know my siphon hose fits on the inner part of my airlock, and it also fits in the hole in the lid of my bucket as well.

Either way, you need a blowoff tube. It could get enough buildup in it to blow the airlock off your primary, and that will be a mess. Once the action subsides, you can do away with the blowoff hose and go back to the standard airlock.

Latest posts

Back