Airlock keeps coming out of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwarski

Reaction score
Hey there, just put my second batch into 6 gallon glass carboy. Everything's cool but I went to put my cleaned out primary away and noticed airlock was resting on carboy opening. I jammed it as far as it would go and proceeded to watch it rise slowly out of the neck and mouth of carboy. I jammed it down again and it started to slip back out. Any suggestions to combat slippery airlock stopper?

Do what Yooper said and also try using a twisting motion like driving a screw.

They get quite slippery, especially when you use Starsan.

I wet a small area on a washcloth with 70% rubbing alcohol (not dripping, you don't want it in the fermenter) and wipe the inside of the carboy neck and the outside of the plug, LET BOTH DRY, then insert the plug and airlock. I had a plug slip into the carboy once...motivated this change. And thanks to the dinner trick where you shove the wine cork into the empty wine bottle and challenge someone to remove it using only their cloth dinner napkin, I was easily able to retrieve the plug after the beer was racked off a few weeks later!

Yep, it was first time I used star san. I dried plug and neck w paper towel as suggested and now all is well. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Back