airlock keeps bubbeling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlab

Reaction score
hi guys, yea me agian with a noob question :$

ok my brew has been going for 5 days now (started 3rd of this month) and its still bubbeling away, on the kit, i read that the brew should ferment for 4 -5 days, and that i should check the sg to see if its the same on 2 consecutive days.

my question is, do i wait for the bubbling to stop, and then check the sg or, can the sg be constant even though the airlock still bubbles?

hope that makes sence? thanks for your reply,,,

a worried brewer :D

You can check the gravity or wait until you have no more than a few bubbles a minute. I have one right now that's still going strong for almost 12 days

oh, so its no cause for concern that it may take longer than 4-5 days (as per instructions)

just so i get this clear. do i only check sg when the bubbles stop going? or can it have a stady sg and still bubble???

The bubbling indicates that there is active fermentation going on so you want to wait until it slows before you take your reading. You don't want to open the fermenter any more than necessary.

I wouldnt bother checking until the bubbling stops. Of course, if you need to take a sample for quality control, noone will stop you.

- magno

My last brew took 19 days!
Did have a bit more sugar than normal though ;)

Bubbling is good and take the instructions with a pinch of salt - they are just trying to market it as completing quicker than it really takes. (the swines, like saying add normal sugar which is nowhere nearly as good as a packet of dried malt extract. It is just that the sugar is easier to obtain and is cheaper).

....I am on a fine ranting mood today!

thanks for your help guys :D
im at ease now with my brew

as for the temp of room about 21 - 23 Deg C

I've had one of mine bubbling for 11 days now. Was hoping to keg it this weekend but as it's still going i'm just gonna give it another week. I've taken Readings and im at about 1027 from an SG of 1052. Target is 1014 so I guess it's still got a fair bit to do yet.

Back