Airlock issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemishot

Reaction score
So I have my third batch in the primary since Saturday. I am going with the 1 -2 -3 method, worked my last two batches, I have yet to see the airlock bubble. I know that it is completely sealed, because if I touch the lid, then it bubbles. Is this normal? Should I wait on transfering it to the secondary for another week, or chance it? Thank you in advance!

If so, I'd suggest sanitizing your thief, take a sample, and take a hydrometer reading. If the SG hasn't changed, then it didn't ferment.

If you don't have a hydrometer, I'd take a taste-- if its sweet, it didn't ferment.

I'd then repitch your yeast.

If you have seen no signs of fermentation then you may or may not have a problem. Are you using a pail or carboy to ferment? If you are using a pail, it is very possible that the lid did not seal fully and fermentation is complete. Sometimes the CO2 will just go out around the lid. Just pushing on the lid will agitate the airlock causing the bubble, and may be the cause of what you are seeing.

Either way, I'd wait 1 week in the primary. If you took hydrometer readings then check on Saturday and see if fermentation is complete. Without a hydrometer you could taste it and see what happened.

Wait the week, re-post and let us kinow where you are at. We can help from there.

Update: I went downstairs, and sat there for 10 minutes staring at the pale, and the airlock did bubble! I will take the advice given for future reference. Thank you and I will repost when I get to the bottling stage

Sounds like lag. If you can tell us yeast type, if a starter was made (or rehydrated the dry yeast), and how you aerated the wort, we can check your steps to make sure everything was done 'proper'.

when my wife helps me brew, I explain every step to her because it helps me go through my checklist and not miss anything.

Back