airlock. did i mess it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coast2coast

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch and it has been fermenting for a couple of days. I didn't remember to put water in the airlock. Can I add it now? Should I take the airlock out or put the water in the airlock with it still in the fermenting bucket?Also I read to put vodka in the airlock, whats this about?

Coast 2 Coast

yeah, just add some now. I use starsan water. Vodka has a tendency to evaporate.

Oh, and everything is fine. I did the same thing on my first batch.

should be ok. Think a lot of people use cheap vodka because sometimes pressure changes can suck some of the fluid from the airlock into the fermenter. Logic is a little vodka isnt going to affect the flavor or anything. though honestly a half ounce of sanitizer wont either. I use sanitizer solution or just plain water

Logic behind the vodka is that if you suck back, then it's vodka, which won't have any bacteria in it because they can't survive in vodka like they can in water. I use Colonial Club. You could use starsan water too, it's just easy to pour the vodka in and recap it. Don't have to mix it up in advance or anything.

I also use cheap vodka. But it IS true that you have to watch it because it will evaporate.

Truth is, you don't even NEED an airlock. It's a safety feature. If you didn't have it for a bit, won't hurt a thing.

Back