Airlock Blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roogs25

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Newbie question for you all. I had a blowout on my second batch (a kolsch).... I pitched the yeast on Monday night, had good fermentation on Tuesday night, left for a trip on Wednesday morning, got back on Friday evening and found a clogged airlock with some beer on the outside of the lid (thankfully the lid held and there was not a major blowout). I cleaned and sanitized the airlock but now there are no bubbles at all coming out. I was planning on racking this batch on Sunday or Monday.
So my two questions, is the beer ruined after sitting with a blowout for potentially two and a half days (total time I was gone was 60 hours, but when I left everything looked good)? Should I just rack it tomorrow (Saturday)? Thanks!

Depending. . The fermentation could have completed by then. And o2 exposure is little to none. You have beer!! Be happy. Im guessing a violent fermentation took off. It happens with yeast used in those styles. Although there needs to be a co2 o 2 exchange. You may get off flavour you didn't intend on. But ill bet you are fine. Don't worry have a beer

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back