airlock/blowoff question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogboyBrew

Reaction score
I have recently converted a mini fridge into a fermentation chamber, and with some 'slight' modifications I have the space for a 6.5gal bucket. I run into an issue with the airlock, I dont quite have the headspace for an airlock, but I dont see an issue with space if I ran a blowoff...My question is can I use just a blowoff tube(with the end in sani) instead of an airlock all together?

Yes you can. It is really just an airlock of a different shape.

I use a blow off tube for every batch and most often never switch back to a traditional airlock.

What method are you guys using to run the blowoff out of the bucket? I was going to buy some 1 1/4 tubing and drill a 1 1/8 hole or so with a hold saw in the lid of the bucket. I was trying to find a grommet, such as a firewall grommet, to put in the hole.

Could I just drill the hole and run the tube in there?

Awesome, thanks for the replies. From what I've seen the tube appears to just be ran right into the hole in the lid. Would something similar to a bung be necessary, or would the tubing into the hole be fine?

I think most guys that use buckets just run the blow off out of the grommet for the airlock. The 1.25" tubing is the perfect size for a glass carboy but I think they use the smaller tubing with buckets.

I think most guys that use buckets just run the blow off out of the grommet for the airlock. The 1.25" tubing is the perfect size for a glass carboy but I think they use the smaller tubing with buckets.

My only concern with doing that is the small tubing. I don't want it to clog and cause a huge mess. Perhaps just running the tube where the grommet goes would suffice. 3/4-1/2 inch or so.

My only concern with doing that is the small tubing. I don't want it to clog and cause a huge mess. Perhaps just running the tube where the grommet goes would suffice. 3/4-1/2 inch or so.

I think it would work just fine. You could just get a larger bucket. Most likely you wouldn't even need a blow off if you are doing a 5 gallon batch in a bucket with almost 3 gallons of headspace.

I think it would work just fine. You could just get a larger bucket. Most likely you wouldn't even need a blow off if you are doing a 5 gallon batch in a bucket with almost 3 gallons of headspace.

I plan to do a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon bucket. A 10% beer with possibly a 2 liter starter.

I plan to do a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon bucket. A 10% beer with possibly a 2 liter starter.

Yeah, you will definitely want to pitch a 2L starter. You will also want a blow off tube. I really think it would be fine with the smaller tube but I have never used one so I can't know for sure.

If you have a 3 piece airlock, cut the "x" off the bottom end. Take the top and bubbler cone out and put a section of tubing on the inner part. No need for any more holes.

This will work unless you have a lot of big gunk in your wort.

Another thing to watch for with a BOT is suckback. Don't forget that if you crash your beer then the reduction in temp will create a vacuum and suck up sanitizer from your catch bucket.

Another thing to watch for with a BOT is suckback. Don't forget that if you crash your beer then the reduction in temp will create a vacuum and suck up sanitizer from your catch bucket.

Is that only an issue with a drastic temp drop?

That's the only time I've seen it. I suppose a drastic barometer change like when a storm rolls through might be able to do it, but not sure.

interesting, something to watch out for. This may be a 'duh' question, but in the case of some sanitizer coming back through, what ill effects would this have on the beer?

interesting, something to watch out for. This may be a 'duh' question, but in the case of some sanitizer coming back through, what ill effects would this have on the beer?

It depends on your sanitizer of choice. You probably wouldn't even notice a small amount of starsan but you probably would notice a small amount of bleach.

It depends on your sanitizer of choice. You probably wouldn't even notice a small amount of starsan but you probably would notice a small amount of bleach.

+1

I wouldn't use Iodophor to be sure. But starsan should be minimal risk. If you don't fill your catch bucket too much then there isn't much to suck back either.

Do you think a water gallon jug 1/2 filled with sani would be sufficient?

Use a quart sized plastic cup with about 3/4 inch of Starsan in the bottom. Just enough to keep the end of the tube submerged.

Then if you get suck back, you will have less than a cup sucked in.

We don't need any more threads about "1.5 gallons of Starsan in my beer!"

I have never understood why people use so much. You don't put half a gallon of beer in your airlock, do you?

Use a quart sized plastic cup with about 3/4 inch of Starsan in the bottom. Just enough to keep the end of the tube submerged.

Then if you get suck back, you will have less than a cup sucked in.

We don't need any more threads about "1.5 gallons of Starsan in my beer!"

I have never understood why people use so much. You don't put half a gallon of beer in your airlock, do you?

Sorry to clutter up your forum, broksie. If beginner questions are too much to handle maybe you shouldn't spend so much time in the 'beginner beer brewing' forum. :rolleyes:

Sorry to clutter up your forum, broksie. If beginner questions are too much to handle maybe you shouldn't spend so much time in the 'beginner beer brewing' forum. :rolleyes:

He wasn't attacking you by any means. Just the other day there was a thread about 1.5 gallons or something ridiculous of Iodophor getting sucked back into the beer. The OP of that thread ended up having to dump it because it tasted so bad.

He wasn't attacking you by any means. Just the other day there was a thread about 1.5 gallons or something ridiculous of Iodophor getting sucked back into the beer. The OP of that thread ended up having to dump it because it tasted so bad.

my apologies then, translation is often lost on the internet.

Love my 3-piece airlock blowoff mod!

My cooler is barely deep enough for a 6.5 gal carboy with a 3-piece on it, so you'll see I had to chip away (that's what the drill did, anyway) the side of the airlock to make room for the PVC joint and 1/2" hose.

It's singing! Best blowoff yet.

I like it much more than the 1" hose straight from carboy to bucket in my cooler because with the lid shut, it partially kinks the 1" hose.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404861983.274522.jpg

/Will always still be figuring it out/

I just had to switch to a blowoff because the little shelf in my freezer won't accommodate a 3 gal carboy with airlock. As I see it, it's the same thing. Just less fun to watch.

There's no sweeter sound than walking into the garage and hearing the dut dut dut dut dut dut dut bubbles rockin' in the blowoff container through the cooler walls.

I just inserted a piece of tube into the 'bung', worked great..still working actually, I bottle tomorrow.

Not sure I would bottle if you're still bubbling. Just my opinion. Don't want any gushers.

Not sure I would bottle if you're still bubbling. Just my opinion. Don't want any gushers.

It isn't bubbling, by still working I meant that nothing negative has or is happening

Back