Airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_Aggie

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate stout on Saturday after 2 1/2 years since my last batch. My brewday could have been better. I made a 3 gallon batch to split into 3 one gallon carboys. I ended up losing .5lb of 2-row malt by trying to get it into the bag by myself while standing.

Anyways, I cooled it to 74, pitched S-04, and stirred it to distribute the yeast. There was a little activity in all 3 on Sunday, less on Monday, and I hadn't seen any this morning. Is there something I need to do for it? Also, I have cocoa nibs soaking in vodka to add after primary fermentation is done. It's my first time adding after primary. What are some ways to add it without introducing more oxygen?

Airlock activity is never a good way to indicate fermentation. Its nice to see it bubbling, but just because its not doesnt mean its not fermenting. You very well could have a small leak somewhere that allows air to escape. Best bet is to let it sit for a few more days and do a gravity reading

If you have a CO2 tank and a gas dispenser, I'd just purge the top of the gallon jugs with CO2 prior to gently dropping in the nibs. If you don't have a CO2 tank and dispenser, then when you pull the airlock off, place the nibs in gently and replace the airlock. Try not to shake or disturb the bottle while the airlock's off.

A little O2 ingress is normal and the yeast should still be able to handle it. It's not like you're racking into a big bucket and splashing like mad.

I brewed a chocolate stout on Saturday after 2 1/2 years since my last batch. My brewday could have been better. I made a 3 gallon batch to split into 3 one gallon carboys. I ended up losing .5lb of 2-row malt by trying to get it into the bag by myself while standing.

Anyways, I cooled it to 74, pitched S-04, and stirred it to distribute the yeast. There was a little activity in all 3 on Sunday, less on Monday, and I hadn't seen any this morning. Is there something I need to do for it? Also, I have cocoa nibs soaking in vodka to add after primary fermentation is done. It's my first time adding after primary. What are some ways to add it without introducing more oxygen?

Perfect. Read this: http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Thanks for the read! I definitely feel better about it. There was krausen on all 3 and it's fallen now. I'll probably add the cocoa nibs around Saturday, depending on the gravity readings

On a larger 5-gallon carboy or bucket, you will be able to generate enough CO2 for a bubble a lot quicker than a small 1 gallon jar. Both batches could be generating CO2 at the same rate per gallon, but a larger container would generate a single bubble faster than a smaller container so it seems like it is fermenting faster. Fortunately you did see some some activity, so that is very encouraging. But you can't sweat it, you have to trust the process. I would suggest adding the nibbs soon, so that any oxygen introduced into the carboy will hopefully be driven off by the continuing creation of more CO2. If you wait til later, you may not see as much CO2 creation, and the oxygen will be sitting in your carboy (albeit a very small amount). Of course, a gravity reading is the best way to tell where things stand.

Back