Airlock activity stopped after moving...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splat

Reaction score
Ok, brewed a batch of nut brown ale on Saturday Night, fermentation didnt really take off till Sunday night...Everything was all good...I had the primary set up on my bar with a blow off hose because the spot I usually keep it was full of secondarys...Transfered all my secondarys to kegs last night, and changed out my blowoff tube to an airlock...It started bubbling again....Now heres where it gets interesting...I move the bucket to my usual spot in the laundry room, and the airlock stops bubbling completely, checked to make sure it was tight, lid, etc....This morning, still not bubbling....Anyone seen this yet???? Did I make the yeastys mad???:cross:

second thing is to remember that airlock activity, or a lack thereof, doesn't necessarily mean anything.

if the temperature is still right, you should open it and do a hydrometer test, since that'll tell you if its close to being done or if its stuck halfway to completion.

If you can't quantify the airlock activity with a hydrometer measurement, you simply cannot trust the airlock.

Temp is the same as bar, about 68 degrees....And I know the drill about not trusting the airlock...But Im not talking about it quiting after 12 hours of moving it, im talking about "right" after....Airlock bubbling, then I moved it, no bubbling as soon as I moved it....Checked the lid, Checked the airlock....Just dont understand it...

Did you just "check" the lid or remove it and replace it? It may have warped a bit and still seemed tight. Did you check the level of liquid in the airlock? Some may have been sucked in. Just some ideas, sorry if you've already thought of them.

If you have a 3-piece airlock, you should look to see whether the inner and outer water levels are the same. If so, I think that means you have a leak. If not, there's at least some pressure difference.

My lid fits very tight, and I have to smash it with my fist to get it to snap on....I banged all around to check the seal...The airlock still has vodka in it, and its not a 3 piece....Its the kind like a kitchen drain....

I have had this same problem. If your using plastic. It is most defiantly the lid. Dont get me wrong I like plastic for primary. but the lids sometimes fail to seal properly.
Try putting a brick or sometime mildly heavy on the lid. I 'd bet you start seeing bubbles again right away

Cheers

Homebrewjosh said:
I have had this same problem. If your using plastic. It is most defiantly the lid. Dont get me wrong I like plastic for primary. but the lids sometimes fail to seal properly.
Try putting a brick or sometime mildly heavy on the lid. I 'd bet you start seeing bubbles again right away

Cheers

:) Ok, I went in and sanitized a new airlock, and really banged the hell out of the lid to make sure it was sealed...I have never had this problem before with this bucket...And for your idea about something heavy on top, im going to try it...I dont think its going to work, but if it does I owe you a beer :mug:

UPDATE!!!:ban: We have bubbles again, No, not from a brick :) Went in to check on it with the new airlock, and its bubbling away.....I guess the seal between the airlock and stopper wasnt good....I thought maybe the airlock was bad, but I put my thumb over the end and blew in it and it was tight...The one I put on was a three piece...Never used one of those type untill tonight, thats all the LHBS had last time I picked up some spares... You guys have a preference between the two types?

Thanks for all the help guys....

Oh, Brick guy owes me a beer now :mug: :)

I think sometimes this just happens when you move a plastic bucket (or it does to me anyway). The most likely thing is that when you move it, you are deforming the bucket and lid (because of the weight of the beer) and squeezing a lot of the CO2 out of the bucket and reducing the pressure to a lower level when you sit it back down. The yeast then has to get the pressure back up before it will start bubbling again. This phenomenon is especially noticeable with a blowhose since it takes quite a bit of pressure to force water out of the end of the hose.

rocketman768 said:
I think sometimes this just happens when you move a plastic bucket (or it does to me anyway). The most likely thing is that when you move it, you are deforming the bucket and lid (because of the weight of the beer) and squeezing a lot of the CO2 out of the bucket and reducing the pressure to a lower level when you sit it back down. The yeast then has to get the pressure back up before it will start bubbling again. This phenomenon is especially noticeable with a blowhose since it takes quite a bit of pressure to force water out of the end of the hose.

I dont think that is the case with this one. It sat for a whole day with nothing, then when I changed out the airlock, bubbles in 5 minutes or less.

rocketman768 said:

As far as the blowoff hose, it depends how deep you submerge the hose in the sanitizer...

Back