Airlock Activity at Two Weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I'm getting airlock activity after almost two weeks in the primary. It's been constant since pitch, but has gradually slowed to the bubble every minute or so that it's at now. This is the first time I've done a "true top cropping" strain, perhaps they're a bit slower?

I have had batches take this long. Depending on your OG and your ferm temps it may take this long.

I generally avoid taking a gravity sample before racking to secondary (normally at 3 weeks), which I'm going to do as always. But with the airlock going, it seems fairly obvious fermentation of one sort or other is taking place.

The wort temp is 62-64*F, and the recommended range for the strain (Essex WLP022) is 66*F to 70*F, so I may have answered my own question.

EDIT: Checked out the reviews on White Lab's page. Pretty much everyone mentions Essex being a slow strain, 10+ days being the stated norm. So I'm good.

i'd recommend warming the temp a bit into the yeast's sweet spot for now, with the bulk of fermentation probably over this will help the yeast get the last few pts of gravity. you'll obviously see more airlock activity from warming it too, as CO2 comes out of solution due to the higher temp.

Back