airlick leaked/blown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamInNJ

Reaction score
Brewed a brown ale last night using pure pitch yeast. It was fermenting vigorously by this morning when I left for work. When I got home beer had sprayed out of the tiny holes in the airlock and the top piece of it was slightly unsealed. It was also filled with beer and not sanitizer.

I washed my hands removed the airlock (was sprayed in the face by pressuriEd foam) and set up a blow off valve. I'm hoping since I'm one day in any oxygen will feed the yeast and hopefully not contaminate the batch.

Wanted to post here and see if the batch is screwed. Also wanted to see what the best reaction for a blown airlock is. I may just start always using a blow off valve in the future.

"airlick leaked/blown" ... Sounds like a good night!!

Seriously though...you should be fine. The outbound CO2 kept all the good things in and the bad things out.

You should be good. That happened on my second batch and I have been using a blowoff tube ever since. After the first few days or week goes by I switch out to an S type air lock. There was so much pressure that I doubt any O2 got anywhere near your beer.

You're fine. As long as you sanitized your blowoff (and probably even if you didn't) you don't have to worry. There is so much pressure pushing CO2 and krausen out that no oxygen or bugs were likely to get in. Once the krausen starts to drop just put in a sanitized airlock and you're good to go.

One thing to think about is... The CO2 that built up had enough force to blow your airlock partially off, and then sprayed you in the face when you opened it. So there was definitely enough CO2 being pushed out that it was keeping your beer safe from uninvited visitors. You should be fine. Second The blow off tube.

Just saw the auto correct on the title. Haha.

Thanks. Things seem to be going nicely now with the blowoff valve.

I'm assuming this is due to the type of yeast? My last batch had a very close OG but I used rehydrated dry yeast. This batch I used pure pitch and within 12 hours it was bubbling 2-3 times as much as the dry yeast beer ever did.

Those new pure pitch packets are insane. Freakin amazing yeast. What yeast were you using?

WLP005.

I can't believe how quick/vigorous its going. Sitting at 70 degrees.

Very much like how easy this yeast is/was, will definitely start with a blowoff next time!

Ive never used 005, but Im a total white labs whore. I love their yeasties. WLP001 is about the only yeast I use anymore

I've got a few packs of safale 05 left. I'm gonna use those up with starters and probably switch entirely to the white labs stuff. They're easier with pretty significantly positive results (will be more positive when I know to use a blowoff hose for a few days).

Back