Air when bottling - what to expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notme

Reaction score
So upon bottling my first batch, when racking (moving from fermentor, to bottling bucket, racking?) , I ended up with some aeration. While I am well aware of how to correct for this failure in the future, my question is now that its bottled, what can I expect this error to do to the beer? (off flavors, smell, failure to carb? etc)

If it was a lot of aeration, oxidized beer would be the result. Unfortunately you won't know until you sample the first bottle. In some cases it may take a bit of time to show up, or maybe it won't be a problem.

At the worst some oxidation. Start drinking them as soon as they are bottle conditioned and fully carbonated. Oxidation becomes more pronounced with age.
Have some friends over to help out. Perhaps for the party they would contribute something to off set the cost of your next brew.

Back