Air trap vs tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
I see that some people run a fairly large tube drom the top of their carboy into a tub of water. I have always used a simple air trap or water trap or whatever the exact term is for that double chamber water/vodka holding thing. Are there any real advantages to using the tube into a water tub as opposed to the traps? Does it just let more volume of CO2 out for vigourous fermentations? Eliminate the threat of suck backs?

Thanks in advance

The item you are referring to is a blow-off tube. Depending on the situation it is possible for a beer to ferment so heavily that it will escape a normal airlock and make a mess. This doesn't happen all the time, or for everyone but it can.

I don't use a blow-off tube very often because my experience is that I don't need it.

the blow-off tube is for heavy, fast fermentation. if you use an airlock and you have massive kraussen, you will blow your airlock off and make a huge mess.

My advice is to always use a blow off tube for the first 3 days of fermentation, unless it's a beer you've already made or you just really hate the color of your walls/ceiling.

Back