Air tank for co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort*hog

Reaction score
My neighbor is ready to follow me into kegging. He has a batch ready today to bottle or keg.I picked up a new 5 gal air tank and hooked a hose gas in ball lock to it. I got a quick disconect to go on an empty port on my manifold and a air chuck to fill the tank. I plan on filling and purging the tank a few times at serving pressure, then he can use the tank to keep 12lbs on the keg until it is conditioned and carbonated. I'm thinking the volume of the tank will be enogh to cabonate and serve the 5 gallon corny. If not he can come over and recharge it. Has anyone tried this or have any imput.

Are you talking about filling the air tank with CO2? Assuming it has a regulator that can deal with the low gas volume, you'll need about 75 psi (5 volumes) to carbonate and dispense. I've never done it, but I have used an empty cornie as a pressure tank.

Yes I would use the air tank in the same way you used a spare corny. There is no regulator on the tank. It would basicly give you 5 gallons of headspace at the pressure applied with the co2 regulator.

Don't forget that as the cornie drains, serving pressure will drop. Not a big problem unless you're picky about bubbles.

He plans on having his own system by the end of the week.so this should work for now. I have an extra tank and regulator set up but an other neighbor is using it on his first brew ever. Its cold enough to serve in the garage. three homebrewers kegging on the same block! This is going to be a great summer!:tank:

haha. you are quite generous. i'd tell them to look for stuff on craigslist or ebay or go to a welding supply shop. heh.

haha. i suppose so. you're the one who paid for the tank and the gas though... did they pay for the kegs? or is everything yours? haha.

Wort*hog said:
He plans on having his own system by the end of the week.so this should work for now. I have an extra tank and regulator set up but an other neighbor is using it on his first brew ever. Its cold enough to serve in the garage. three homebrewers kegging on the same block! This is going to be a great summer!:tank:

It's because you can't buy beer in that state.

My kid went to the state store and bought a sixer of Pacifico. It was like $12. I'm not sure if there is another state where it makes more sense to home brew than Utah. Lyrics from a song By the Plague of Locusts. Utah, Gateway to Nevada;

The beer here
gives you stronger bladders
but you have to drink behind the barn

Back