Air pressure drop! Beer in the airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
We just had a massive storm move in, and I have some beer dry hopping in a secondary fermenter with very little head space. This morning I noticed some beer in the airlock, thanks to the air pressure drop. I'm tempted to just leave it, but is that a mistake? Everything is sanitized, and there doesn't seem to be any opportunity for exposure to nasty stuff, but am I wrong? Should I switch my airlock out for a blowoff tube?

Id clean the airlock and fill it with sanitizer. When the pressure changes again, you dont want it to suck back in, after sitting in the airlock for a week exposed.

I'm surprised that the storm caused enough of a pressure difference to do that...how much headspace do you have? Are you sure it wasn't just blowing off?

Definitely at least switch the airlock for a clean one ASAP. When you remove the airlock, if there is a big release of pressure from inside the fermentor, then this was a blowoff and you should rig one of those cause it may not be done

Back