Air locks on primaries??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
Who does this, even with a 6.5 gallon carboy?

I have two six and a half gallon carboys that I have used from the beginning of time. I always use a blow off tube(1/4) into a water pail.
Checking on my brew this morning (furious clone), and of course the blow off tube is filled with foam and the water pail is cloudy with yeast (I assume it is yeast). This happens with most all of my beers. Some have used starters some have not.
Temp is right around 66 degrees F.
What would happen if all of these batches would have been prepared with an air lock on top? oh boy.
I have noticed that some of you folk use large diameter hoses that fit right into the neck of carboy without the bung, does this work better at letting the co2 out?

I use airlocks on all of my primaries. I get yeast blowing through the airlock in maybe 1 out of every 6 fermentations, and its never been forceful enough to blow off the airlock. I do starters with each beer. Probably varies quite a bit for everyone on here...

I've done both (airlocks and hoses on primary) but it really comes down to the style of beer and the strain of yeast. Some go crazier than others. Some beers I can use an airlock no problem on, others it really isn't an option.

The bigger diameter hose is good at preventing clogs since most anything that would get stuck in a smaller diameter hose wouldn't in one big enough to just stick in the carboy neck. There is also a much smaller chance of "suck back" or whatever you want to call it.

I have noticed that some of you folk use large diameter hoses that fit right into the neck of carboy without the bung, does this work better at letting the co2 out?
It's more about letting the krausen out. A small diameter tube can clog,

I now use blow off tubes on all of my 6.5 gallon carboys. I got up one morning and discovered that one of my airlocked batches was about to do its beercano impersonation all over my shower. I quickly rigged up a blow off tube onto an extra airlock and I have not had the problem again.

My usual system is to rig up the blow off tube until the Krausen has fallen then I replace it with a sanitized air lock for the rest of the time it is in the primary. No problems with a mess so far...

I've used a blow-off tube for maybe 2 out of 82 batches. Otherwise it's been 3-piece airlocks on 6.5 gal buckets for me. No clogging issues. It's personal preference.

I've never used a blow-off. So far I haven't had any fermentations even get close to blowing out.

However, I am thinking about doing a blow-off with an upcoming hefe. I hear wheat beers get a little crazy.

my second batch and first in a 6 gal better bottle nearly exploded before i put a blow off tube on. I'm sure I'll just always use a blow off just so it is a set it and forget it situation (plus I don't want to get beer all over the hallway or wherever I can stash it

Get a 30 litre fermenting pail with an airlock. Never had a blowoff problem. Actually, I did a couple of times, but that was in 25 litre buckets. And working at a homebrew shop I've had too many customers come in with stitches on their thumbs or bandages on their legs from glass carboys to use the damn things any more. If you do have a carboy I hope it's a Better Bottle.

Back