Air Locks Needed for Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
Stupid NOOB question, but I am lagering an American Style Lager in my fridge, and am soon to move my Maibock to secondary and begin to lager that in the same fridge.
The question is if I really need drilled bungs with an air lock for my better bottle secondary vessels during lagering, or if I could just use solid bungs. Because parts of my fridge are low clearance and I cannot fit the BB with the air lock in those spaces, but I can w/ only a solid bung.

If you have the potential for air-exposure, you need an air lock. If you know beyond a certainty of a doubt that fermentation is complete, go ahead an put a solid bung on it. I had a lager in the fridge for over a year and didn't put a solid bung on it.

I would put an airlock on it, no matter how far along it is.

If you have the potential for air-exposure, you need an air lock. If you know beyond a certainty of a doubt that fermentation is complete, go ahead an put a solid bung on it. I had a lager in the fridge for over a year and didn't put a solid bung on it.

I would put an airlock on it, no matter how far along it is.

I'll take a gravity reading, if it hasnt gone down since I took it a few weeks ago I'll go ahead and put a solid bung in it cuz I dont wanna have to take my deli meat drawer lol:mug:

Back