Air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob5023

Reaction score
I just put a batch in a glass carboy and put it in a closet at about 7 pm last night. When I put it in the closet the air lock was filled up to the fill line. I look at it this morning, there is bubbling going on in the air lock but the water level has dropped. Do I need to add more water back up to the fill line?

The point of the water is to keep stuff from getting in, while letting CO2 out. If it looks like there isn't enough water in there to accomplish this, then add more. I use distilled water personally.

Nope, as long as it's bubbling (ie it is still preventing air from flowing into the fermenter, but allowing C02 to escape) you can leave it alone and it will serve its purpose.

The amount is not critical as long as there is some, so it is acting like a one way valve. The liquid is there to keep air from getting into the carboy. The contaminates fall and can not "fly" through an airlock so even if it went dry, infection is not a given.

Back