Air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaBrewFather06

Reaction score
I know this is a little late since I already did it, but when you put the brew into the primary to ferment then add airlock there is supposed to be water in it right?

i have something weird going on with my airlock .only time it will bubble is if i tap it a little.. it seems like it needs a kick start.. every few hours it stops and when i check on it i just tap it and it does its thing.. anything wrong with my airlock?

i have something weird going on with my airlock .only time it will bubble is if i tap it a little.. it seems like it needs a kick start.. every few hours it stops and when i check on it i just tap it and it does its thing.. anything wrong with my airlock?

There's most-likely nothing wrong with your airlock, assuming you have liquid up to the fill line. Gonna need a little more info to help you out. Are you using a carboy or a bucket? There could be a gap in the seal of the bucket or stopper that's letting the co2 out. How long ago since you pitched your yeast? What type of yeast are you using and what is the temperature (ambient or of the beer itself)?

yes i have liquid up to the line. i am using a 6.5 gallon bucket. i just pitched on tuesday afternoon. yeast i am using is danstar nottingham ale dry yeast.. temp is 64f.. for the gap in the seal i looked at the seal and it seemed to be on right.. anyway i can test to see if the seal is letting co2 out?

Did you rehydrate the notty before you pitched? It's possible that it's just off to a slow start. I wouldn't worry. Give it a week to work and then give the gravity a check.

yep i did the rehydrate .. yeah i just wasnt sure if my airlock was playing games with me ..

You also have to make sure the rehydrated yeasts' temp is within 10 degrees of wort temp,or the yeast can shock,causing a slow initial ferment start.

Could just be the strength of your fermentation hasn't quite gotten up to its full potential but when you tap it, the gas is disturbed and forces its way out. I notice this happening when I'm moving the carboy upstairs.

I also just bought a 3-piece airlock which I love for primary fermentations. They're cheap and I haven't needed a blow-off house from vigorous fermentations. All in all, less baby sitting.

Like I said,if yeast rehydrate temp is more than 10 degrees higher than wort temp & the yeast shocks,all isn't lost. It'll take about a day to get up to full steam again.

Back