Air lock water evaporation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickBays

Reaction score
Hello all!

I brewed my first beer (an IPA) on Friday (04/11/14) and noticed that it was bubbling quite well yesterday morning (04/12/14). I had to leave that day unexpectedly and left the water in the air lock at just above the fill line. It is in a dark room that will get no direct sun and will not get above 70 degrees. I am worried about the water in the air lock evaporating and spoiling the wort. I will be able to return home on 04/14/14. Will that be too long, or should I have a neighbor check it? Thanks everyone!

It will be fine, I have never had the water evaporate out of the airlock that fast - maybe it would in Arizona? If you ever do go away longer you can use a blow-off tube in a pint jar of water :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks a lot! I'm near Atlanta, Ga, where humidity isn't very dry. The total time between checking the air lock will be less than 60 hours. As a first time brewer, I am naturally worried about every aspect of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've got one fermenting now that is going on two weeks in the fermenter. Haven't touched the airlock and it's still plenty full. So like mentioned above unless you're in a really dry climate, which you're not, you'll be good and even then I doubt it would be a problem.

Oh and welcome to the obsession :)

Back