Air Lock Vs. blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I have done a lot of reading about airlock verses a blow off tube. But I was wondering, does it make sense to have both on? I have a carboy cap so I put on my airlock and I started getting a lock of bubble activity and the "foam" is starting to rise. So, I thought what the hell, I'll put on the blow off tube just it case. I guess my thinking is, if I need to pull off the airlock I have a back up in place. Does that make sense? Do I need to get a life? Am I going to ruin my beer? Thanks again for your help.

popscube

Your beer is infected, . . .just kidding.
I don't see a need for both at all, If you're worried about too much krausen for the blowoff, you can get a large diameter tube like 1" and will never have a worry. I do use airlock(s) after the krausen(s) have fallen, typically because I need the blowoff(s) for the next batch(s)

Am I going to ruin my beer?

Yes.

Ok, no. To answer your question, there is no reason that I can think of to have an airlock on if you also have a blowoff tube. All the CO2 that needs to vent will do so through the blow off tube into your jar/bucket of sanitzer water.

I would think that the krausen would take the path of least resistance so even with both some might still get into the airlock regardless. If that happens or has a chance of happening it makes no sense to leave the airlock on at all.

Just my unproven theory though

A blow off tube is an airlock, it's just a different kind of airlock from the little plastic jigger. You can certainly have two airlocks on your carboy cap if you like because it's your beer. :p

Back