Air lock required during secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Questor

Reaction score
My last batch had a rather explosive primary that was apparently 95% done after about three days (airlock is not a guarantee, but an idea anyway).

It seemed 99.9% done at one week. As of today it's been 13 days.

I racked it to secondary today in a sealed plastic bucket. After I was done, my wife pointed out that maybe I need a water lock on the top.

WELL... Yeah, maybe. Must I?

I've had some fermentation happen in the secondary, so it can't hurt. If you are pretty confident most of the fermentation is complete, maybe "burp" the bucket a few times a day.

I'd use the airlock. In fact, I use airlocks even in my wines that are bulk aging. Even if fermentation is done, quite a bit of co2 stays in the beer, and things like a small temperature change or a drop in the barometric pressure could cause some of the co2 to come out of solution. It's not a big deal, because the airlock lets it out. In a sealed container, though, it might be a problem.

Back